Featured Yoga Style: FORREST YOGA
We get it, there are SO many types and styles of yoga and it can get pretty confusing when you’re trying to work out what class is the one for you! So, we’re chatting to our incredible team of teachers to get the lowdown on what it is they teach, and why they love it so much.
First up is Anita Jasser, our resident Forrest Yoga teacher in Peckham.
Anita is a highly trained Forrest yoga teacher with a multi-disciplinary background in healing modalities. Her passion is to help transform the lives of students so that they can find more freedom in their practice and in their lives. She teaches from a place of integrity and experience from her own personal journey of transformation through the Forrest Yoga practice, which has allowed her to lead a more grounded, connected and authentic life… here are her top 5 things you need to know about Forrest Yoga:
1. You don’t do it in a forest… phew! This hatha based style of yoga takes its name from creator Ana Forrest. She’s spent 44 years designing and developing a healing yoga system designed to address everyday stresses such as feeling overwhelmed, injuries, anxiety, and generally feeling not good enough.
2. You don’t have to be strong or flexible to practise Forrest yoga – it’s open to all levels. Every class offers a range of pose variations so that you can build up on your strength and flexibility as you return each week.
3. Forrest Yoga is built on four key pillars, which are:
• Breath – Forrest Yoga teaches you how to breathe deeply, connect with your body, use the power of breath to bring vitality into every cell and ignite your passion for living.
• Strength – the practice shows you how to connect with your core, to reconnect to your gut intuition and build courage.
• Integrity – it teaches you to safely tailor each pose to work for you, particularly with regard to physical and emotional injuries.
• Spirit – Forrest Yoga’s intent is “to create a sense of freedom, a connection to your Spirit and the courage to walk as your spirit dictates”.
4. It’s a heated practice, which means we move safely into deeper poses when your body is fully warmed up to do so… you’ll probably want a shower when you get home, too!
5. Relax your neck. One of the key differences to this style compared to other yoga classes is learning to relax your neck. This helps to unwind the nervous system and allows your body to go into rest while in a pose, so you learn how to soften in moments of intensity.
Sound like your thing? Anita teaches Forrest Yoga in Peckham every Thursday evening 19:00-20:15 in studio 2. Find out the benefits of Forrest Yoga for yourself, book a class with Anita here.
Yogarise offers a range of different styles of yoga in London, with some great teachers, based in Streatham and Peckham. Styles we offer are open to all levels. Ashtanga, Baby & Me, Creative Flow, Community Classes, Forrest, Hatha, Jivamukti, Prana Vinyasa, Pregnancy, Postnatal, Restorative, Rocket, Yin, Yin Yang, Vinyasa Flow. Book a class with us today!